Recruitment and Selection - 12 steps to safer recruitment
Please see Greater Jobs for details of any current vacancies.
St Margaret’s Primary School is committed to safeguarding children and young people. The school endeavours to ensure that ‘safe’ staff are employed to work with our children by following the guidance in ‘Keeping children safe in education (2015)’ and using the 12 steps to safer recruitment checklist.
Before advertising a post we commit to;
- Ensuring that our recruitment and selection policy is up to date and describes the process and roles.
- Ensuring that our safeguarding policy is up to date and that our commitment to safeguarding statement is included in all recruitment and selection materials.
- Ensuring that the job description and person specification is up to date and has been agreed by the SLT.
- Ensuring that we have prepared an appropriate advertisement that contains all necessary information about the role, timetable for recruitment and details our commitment to safeguarding.
- Ensuring that we have put together a suitable candidate information pack containing all the required information about the school, role, recruitment timetable, safeguarding policy/statement and application form.
Before interviewing we commit to;
- Ensuring each application received is scrutinised in a systematic way by the shortlisting panel, in order to agree a shortlist before sending invitations to interview.
- Ensuring that all appropriate checks have been undertaken on the shortlisted candidates, including references.
- Ensuring that all shortlisted candidates receive the same letter of invitation to interview, supplying them with all necessary information.
Before selecting our preferred candidate we commit to;
- Ensuring ALL shortlisted candidates undergo a face-to-face interview, based on an objective assessment of the candidate’s ability to meet the person specification and job description.
- Ensuring specific questions are designed to gain required information about each candidate’s suitability, including those needed to address any gaps in information supplied in the application form.
Before formally appointing a candidate we commit to;
- Ensuring that we are able to make a confident selection of a preferred candidate based upon their demonstration of suitability for the role.
- Ensuring that the preferred candidate is informed that the offer of employment (including volunteer positions) is conditional on receiving satisfactory information from all necessary checks.